Frequently Asked Questions about Advertising Preclearance of Cosmetics Advertising
- What services does Ad Standards provide?
- How will I know copy has been approved?
- How do I submit copy?
- How long does it take to do an evaluation?
- What criteria are used to clear copy?
- Who can I talk to about copy clearance?
- Do I need clearance by any other bodies?
- Review of advertising copy for radio, television, print and digital
- Consultation services for new product launches or new advertising concepts
How will I know my copy has been approved?
Your approved submission will be faxed back to you with a nine-character or six-digit Ad Standards approval number. This number signifies to broadcasters that the copy has been approved.
- Step 1 Go to the e-Clearance login page
- Step 2 Login or Create a new account
- Step 3 Enter your submissions online. (For copies in languages other than English or French, please provide a translation.)
How long does it take to make an evaluation?
Regular service: Two business days* from receipt of copy
Priority service: One business day* from receipt of copy
Express service: Copy received by noon, returned by five**
* One business day is equal to 24 hours (business days only)
** Express service is not available for consultations
- Guidelines for the Nonprescription and Cosmetic Industry Regarding Non-therapeutic Advertising and Labelling Claims
- Food and Drugs Act and Regulations
- Other relevant Health Canada policies and guidelines
Who can I talk to about copy clearance?
To reach a member of the Clearance Services team, call 416-961-6311, ext. 3 or email email@example.com.
Do I need clearance by any other bodies?
Ad Standards Clearance Services reviews advertising in six regulated areas to ensure compliance with specific sectoral legislation, regulations, codes and guidelines. For television advertising, in addition to obtaining an Ad Standards Clearance number, prior to airing, commercials must be approved by thinktv to ensure their standards are met. Contact thinktv for complete details.
thinktv clearance provides commercial review services for its broadcaster members.