Why Self-Regulation is Critical to the Ad Industry
Ad Standards has a unique role and a broad scope of responsibility.
Our team of experts have an in-depth understanding of legal and regulatory requirements to advertise almost any product or service in Canada in a truthful, fair and accurate manner.
“By supporting self-regulatory advertising standards our industry could ensure that consumers can trust the brands, their messages and the media carrying the ads.”
Our work furthers progress in advertising self-regulation both at home and globally, and benefits the entire industry in the following ways:
- All advertisers, agencies, and media are held to a shared standard of creative yet responsible advertising and levels the playing field among competitors.
- Trust between industry and government is strengthened by facilitating collaboration between parties.
- Education and training provided by Ad Standards is a proactive measure, saving time and money.
- Supports an efficient complaints service that is cost-free and available to the public.
- Self-regulation offers industry a voice in its own governance, while complementing existing legislation and regulation.
The industry has a shared responsibility to help ensure a responsible and effective advertising and media landscape. I think that starts with supporting a robust self-regulatory environment, which is exactly the role of Ad Standards.
Did You Know?
- Members ensure important self-regulatory mechanisms, such as Ad Standards’ Consumer Complaint Procedure, continue to operate.
- Your support helps us champion self-regulatory solutions to emerging advertising concerns.