Frequently Asked Questions about Preclearance of Food and Non-alcoholic Beverage Advertising
- What services does Ad Standards provide?
- How will I know copy has been approved?
- How do I submit copy?
- How long does it take to make an evaluation?
- What criteria are used to clear copy?
- Who can I talk to about copy clearance?
- Do I need clearance by any other bodies?
- Review of food and non-alcoholic broadcast, print and digital advertising copy
- Consultation services for new product launches or new advertising concepts
Your approved submission will be sent back to you with a 10-character lifetime Ad Standards approval number (with the exception of commercials making a claim that the product is new, where the number is only valid for one year). This number signifies to broadcasters that the copy has been approved.
- Step 1 Go to the e-Clearance login page
- Step 2 Login or Create a new account
- Step 3 Enter your submissions online. (For copies in languages other than English or French, please provide a translation.)
Regular service: Two business days* from receipt of copy
Priority service: One business day* from receipt of copy
Express service: Copy received by noon, returned by five**
How long does it take to make an evaluation for a script with health claims?
Regular service: Four business days* from receipt of copy
Priority service: Two business days* from receipt of copy
Express service: One business day* from receipt of copy**
* One business day is equal to 24 hours (business days only)
** Express service is not available for consultations
- Food and Drugs Act and Regulations
- the Canadian Food Inspection Agency’s Food Labelling for Industry (CFIA Industry Labelling Tool)
Call Ad Standards at 416-961-6311 or 1-888-256-8646, press 1 and a customer service representative will assist you immediately.
Ad Standards Clearance Services reviews advertising in 5 regulated areas to ensure compliance with specific sectoral legislation, regulations, codes and guidelines. For television advertising, in addition to obtaining an Ad Standards Clearance number, prior to airing, commercials must be approved by thinktv to ensure their standards are met. Contact thinktv for complete details.
thinktv clearance provides commercial review services for its broadcaster members.