Frequently Asked Questions about Preclearance of Alcohol Advertising
- What services does Ad Standards provide?
- How will I know copy has been approved?
- How do I submit copy?
- How long does it take to do an evaluation?
- What criteria are used to clear copy?
- Who can I talk to about copy clearance?
- Do I need clearance by any other bodies?
What services does Ad Standards provide?
- Review of alcoholic beverage advertising copy for radio and television
- Review of broadcast, digital, print and out-of-home advertising copy (British Columbia only)
- Review of broadcast, digital, print and out-of-home advertising copy (Ontario)
- Consultation services for new product launches or new advertising concepts
Your approved submission will be sent back to you with a 10-character lifetime Ad Standards approval number (with the exception of advertisements making a new claim, where the number is only valid for one year). This number signifies to broadcasters that the copy has been approved.
Please note that no number is issued when requesting AGCO review. Submissions requesting AGCO review are stamped as being "Reviewed" when they conform to the Guidelines.
- Step 1 Go to the e-Clearance login page
- Step 2 Login or Create a new account
- Step 3 Enter your submissions online. (For copies in languages other than English or French, please provide a translation.)
Regular service: Two business days* from receipt of copy
Priority service: One business day* from receipt of copy
Express service: Copy received by noon, returned by five**
* One business day is equal to 24 hours (business days only)
** Express service is not available for consultations
- CRTC Code for Broadcast Advertising of Alcoholic Beverages
- AGCO Liquor Advertising Guidelines: Liquor Sales Licensees and Manufacturers
Call Ad Standards at 416-961-6311 or 1-888-256-8646, press 1 and a customer service representative will assist you immediately.
Ad Standards Clearance Services reviews advertising in 5 regulated areas to ensure compliance with specific sectoral legislation, regulations, codes and guidelines. For television advertising, in addition to obtaining an Ad Standards Clearance number, prior to airing, commercials must be approved by thinktv to ensure their standards are met. Contact thinktv for complete details.
thinktv clearance provides commercial review services for its broadcaster members.
If your advertising will appear in Quebec, it must be approved by the Régie des alcools, des courses et des jeux.